1.07.2012

Does Jesus like lists?

I love making lists.  It's a trait that I get from my Granddad Upton: a kind of satisfaction gained from grouping ideas or tasks that in some way brings them underneath my rule.  I own you, little chores.  I have almost already defeated you by writing you down.  Sometimes I write things down that I have already done, just so that I can cross them off.

Wake up      

There are other days, however, when I feel like making a list of tasks would subject myself to their domination.  I might make a list, and then say, HEY!  You can't tell me what to do!  I'm going to stare at my computer for an hour, and you can't do anything about that.  ...It is true that making lists can create a sense of failure when they aren't completed.  If I ask for accountability in completing my list, from Justin or somebody, there can even be a sort of fear that happens in my heart when I have to tell Justin that I didn't do everything on the list.  Lists are a set of expectations, but are they a healthy form of accountability or do they lead to a performance-based salvation?

So where is the balance?  Help me out here, how do I keep myself accountable but stay out of a performance-mindset?

5 comments:

  1. Remind yourself daily that you are wholly loved, accepted and adored by God, and that because of His son, there is nothing you need to do to earn favor before Him. Knowing this makes it easier to rest in His grace so you can live your life day by day and not get caught up in "have to's."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Mrs. Cheerio! Eph. 2:9-10

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Allie! I am totally like this too and I love Mrs. Cheerio's thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaah thanks guys. What I've discovered over the past few days of making a list of things I need to do, is that its actually creates rest. I can enjoy downtime better having diligently done other things to create that space in my day.

    ReplyDelete

\\\ /// \\\