4.24.2012

5 Hilarious Things about being Pregnant at Whitworth


  
1) Aliens!
        One of my professors is constantly checking in with me to make sure everything is ok, which is something I really appreciate about Whitworth's faculty: they really care about their students.  At the same time, I get the feeling like he expects me to faint or vomit in class, like my condition is some kind of alien disease.  This leaves me feeling very tempted to make a dramatic scene during class, like start screaming that my water broke or something.

2) The Bump Check
        "Oh hey, Allie!" *eyes flash down to check out the bump* "How are you?"
        I can't really blame anyone.  After all, I would be curious too, and the bump is kind of hard to see this early in the game. 
        But seriously my face is up here.

3) Bloodhound
        Some time during week 6, literally overnight, my nose went from normal to bloodhound.  I started picking up all sorts of scents--clues really--from the world around me.  The guy sitting next to me in Core ate a chipotle sandwich for lunch, they're having those rosemary potatoes in Saga, and I swear that from the HUB I can pick up traces of the Magnolia tree in front of Lindeman.  I also discovered that people think they are really sneaky about letting loose some pressure in public.  During lectures, tests, choir, you name it, strange smells are leaking out everywhere.  Whitworth's olifactory underworld can be a scary place.

4) Anterior
        Everybody knows that being pregnant means having to pee all the time, but if you're like me, and your baby-utilities are built horizontally and forward (instead of vertically and upright, like most people's) you're going to end up wiggling in you're seat, tapping things, and thinking "five more minutes of class.........fiiiiive more minutes..."  While I'm fully symptomatic with Senioritis, I really just want class to get over so I can hit the rest room.  Here is an illustration:

5)  Grad Plans
       When it comes to my graduating class, everyone is in default mode right now: Step 1) Greet a fellow senior. Step 2) Ask them what they're doing after graduation.  Out of the people I've talked to, only about 20% of us actually have a plan for tackling the world, but in my case the answer is easy.  Whether Justin gets an organic agriculture internship somewhere or I get a ministry job someplace or we stay in good ol' Spo, my life is essentially spoken for by 6.8cm of tiny love.  The distant future has all the same questions, hopes, and dreams as my peers, and yet the near future is pretty clear cut. In roughly 187 days there will be an entirely new person in the world who will require the foundational love, care, affirmation and guidance that all of us need to become the people we were meant to be.  Regardless of my career path or living situation, this task will become one of the greatest and most meaningful challenges of my life.  I still laugh, though, whenever my friends ask me what I'm doing after graduation.  "Ha! Have you looked at my stomach lately?"



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Number 2... at least they are not looking at your breasts ;) Good luck with your new adventures Allie!

    ReplyDelete

\\\ /// \\\